Kökar has been selected as one of 20 islands in Europe that will act as pioneers in the work of reducing carbon dioxide emissions. Flexens is one of the players who will drive the work forward.
– The solutions tested at Kökar can be used at a later stage throughout the Smart Energy Åland project, says Berndt Schalin, CEO of Flexens.
Within the EU project Clean Energy for EU Islands, 20 European islands receive help with everything related to the transition to production and use of 100% fossil-free energy, from technical expertise and project development to contacts with other islands. As pioneers in the area, these will then show Europe’s other 2000 islands how to proceed. Kökar has been selected as one of four Nordic participants in the project, thanks to the work of the municipal board member Christian Pleijel.
– We want to be the first island in the Baltic Sea to switch to clean, locally produced energy, storage and use, he says.
– Many sustainable initiatives are already underway at Kökar – bakery ovens are heated with pellets, the school is Green Flag, we develop sustainable tourism with pilgrim walks and bird watching, here there is a wind turbine at Kökar and we already produce our own food.
– We see that the solutions tested at Kökar at a later stage can be applied and used throughout the Smart Energy Åland project, says Berndt Schalin, CEO of Flexens and project manager for Smart Energy Åland.
– We are also happy to offer other islands with ambitious energy initiatives our help. Please contact us!
For more info on the Clean Energy for EU Islands project, please visit https://www.euislands.eu/